2 Peter 3:1-18
- BELOVED, I am now writing you this second letter. In [both of] them I have stirred up your unsullied (sincere) mind by way of remembrance,
- That you should recall the predictions of the holy (consecrated, dedicated) prophets and the commandment of the Master and Savior [given] through your apostles (His special messengers).
- To begin with, you must know and understand this, that scoffers (mockers) will come in the last days with scoffing, [people who] walk after their own fleshly desires
- And say, Where is the promise of His coming? For since the forefathers fell asleep, all things have continued exactly as they did from the beginning of creation.
- For they willfully overlook and forget this [fact], that the heavens [came into] existence long ago by the word of Almighty, and the earth also which was formed out of water and by means of water,
- Through which the world that then [existed] was deluged with water and perished. [Gen_1:6-8; Gen_7:11]
- But by the same word the present heavens and earth have been stored up (reserved) for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly people.
- Nevertheless, do not let this one fact escape you, beloved, that with the Master one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. [Psa_90:4]
- The Master does not delay and is not tardy or slow about what He promises, according to some people’s conception of slowness, but He is long-suffering (extraordinarily patient) toward you, not desiring that any should perish, but that all should turn to repentance.
- But the day of the Master will come like a thief, and then the heavens will vanish (pass away) with a thunderous crash, and the material elements of the universe will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.
- Since all these things are thus in the process of being dissolved, what kind of person ought [each of] you to be [in the meanwhile] in consecrated and holy behavior and devout and godly qualities,
- While you wait and earnestly long for (expect and hasten) the coming of the day of the Almighty by reason of which the flaming heavens will be dissolved, and the material elements [of the universe] will flare and melt with fire? [Isa_34:4]
- But we look for new heavens and a new earth according to His promise, in which righteousness (uprightness, freedom from sin, and right standing with the Almighty) is to abide. [Isa_65:17; Isa_66:22]
- So, beloved, since you are expecting these things, be eager to be found by Him [at His coming] without spot or blemish and at peace [in serene confidence, free from fears and agitating passions and moral conflicts].
- And consider that the long-suffering of our Master, His slowness in avenging wrongs and judging the world, is salvation that which is conducive to the soul’s safety, even as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the spiritual insight given him,
- Speaking of this as he does in all of his letters. There are some things in those [epistles of Paul] that are difficult to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist and misconstrue to their own utter destruction, just as [they distort and misinterpret] the rest of the Scriptures.
- Let me warn you therefore, beloved, that knowing these things beforehand, you should be on your guard, lest you be carried away by the error of lawless and wicked [persons and] fall from your own [present] firm condition [your own steadfastness of mind].
- But grow in grace (undeserved favor, spiritual strength) and recognition and knowledge and understanding of our Master and Redeemer Yahushua the Messiah. To Him [be] glory (honor, majesty, and splendor) both now and to the day of eternity. Amen (so be it)! End of Quote.
Wow! Re-reading those words lives me astonished! How accurate those ancient words are coming to pass now.