Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, marked off the heavens with a nine-inch span, enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales and the hills in a balance?
- Who has directed the Spirit of the Master, or as His counselor has taught Him? With whom did He take counsel, that instruction might be given Him?
- Who taught Him the path of justice and taught Him knowledge and showed Him the way of understanding?
Behold, the nations are like a drop from a bucket and are counted as small dust on the scales; behold, He takes up the isles like a very little thing. And all Lebanon’s [forests] cannot supply sufficient fuel, nor all its wild beasts furnish victims enough to burn sacrifices worthy of the Master.
All the nations are as nothing before Him; they are regarded by Him as less than nothing and emptiness (waste, futility, and worthlessness).
To whom then will you liken the Almighty Creator of our beings? Or with what likeness will you compare Him?
The graven image! A workman casts it, and a goldsmith overlays it with gold and casts silver chains for it. He who is so impoverished that he has no offering or oblation or rich gift to give to his deity is constrained to make a wooden offering, an idol; so he chooses a tree that will not rot; he seeks out a skillful craftsman to carve and set up an image that will not totter or deteriorate—you worshipers of idols, you are without excuse.
- Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning?
- These things ought to convince you of the Almighty Creator of our beings’ omnipotence and of the folly of bowing to idols.
- Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth?
It is the Almighty Creator of our beings Who sits above the circle (the horizon) of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; it is He Who stretches out the heavens like gauze curtains and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in, Who brings dignitaries to nothing, Who makes the judges and rulers of the earth as chaos (emptiness, falsity, and futility).
Yes, these men are scarcely planted, scarcely are they sown, scarcely does their stock take root in the earth, when the Master blows upon them and they wither, and the whirlwind or tempest takes them away like stubble.